We've been going on "nature walks" in our suburban neighborhood to find different flowers, leaves, pine needles, birds, pine cones, etc. I've been feeling a bit ridiculous calling the sparse trees and bushes, and few animals nature, so we made a trip to a nature arboretum to look at some more nature.
I've discovered a fabulous blog, Playing House, and saw this idea of finding things in nature to match colors. It's on a few different blogs I follow, so I thought it would be a great extension to our nature walks. I painted the inside of an egg carton with different colors and we looked for things in nature that matched the colors. Since we were at an arboretum we didn't pick anything off of the plants and trees, but picked things up off the ground.
![]() |
| Watching the minnows and a turtle in a pond. |
![]() |
| Our color finds! Since we didn't pick anything live, the flowers are folded up. |
Some extensions for this activity:
-Painting using the closed flowers as paint brushes
-Painting using the closed flowers as paint brushes
-Nature rubbings (I did this with some leaves on my Tot School post)
-Play dough printing
-Nature collage
The extensions are almost endless!




0 comments:
Post a Comment