Monday, February 13, 2012

Tot School: Letter Q

Littlemiss is 28.5 months old
Tot School


The theme for our week was royalty, so we had lots of fun having tea parties and just being girly! I'm not feeling verbose right now, so check out our week below:


This is our complete set up for the week.


In an effort to make our Tot School more manageable I set up her center with tot trays we do together on top and toys she can do alone below. This worked well this week. I laid out her princess dress and crown to encourage her to dress up.
Tot Trays (left to right) top: pouring tea set, play dough, sorting heart stickers
bottom: Melissa and Doug magnetic dress up ballerina, ballerina puzzle, princess Little People blocks



Her high tea set. This is a definite favorite of hers. She plays tea party at least once a day!


We checked out books from the library on princesses and royalty. Littlemiss liked these books and I often found her reading in her polka dot chair.

This is how she chose to do her Tot Notebook this week. So cute working away :)

This picture is not so good, I'm so great with my camera :) Tracing the letter Q. I don't prompt her to do this, she does it on her own. She spends about 5 seconds doing it.

Coloring the queens eyes and toes. Her favorite body parts to color.

Tracing the lines while saying "Capitol Q...lowercase q." It was her first time seeing the lowercase letter q, so we will have to see if she retains it.

She had me color the queen, directing me where to color along the way.

I'd call out a shape and she'd put a pom pom on the shape. I'm going to start introducing more shapes, because this isn't challenging for her anymore. She can identify circle, diamond (I call it a parallelogram), triangle, square, star, circle, oval, rectangle, moon (crescent), and hexagon.

Counting to 20. She skips around past the number 12, and gets a bit confused with all the numbers on the sheet. I'm going to start showing her how many each number is and focus on numbers 1-5 and then work up from there.

I started just laying out all the crayons like this, and she works independently matching the colors. She worked on this for a few days.

Her buddy Larry helped her color. In this picture she's saying "Larry color," while holding the crayon up against him.


In this picture she's saying, "My turn! Larry, watch!"

Stacking her Little People princess blocks. This is what she calls a "Christmas tree." It sounds funny to us, but in her head it is stacked like a Christmas tree. So clever!

Counting the blocks as she puts them down. She counted each one individually.
She reads her books A LOT like this in her polka dot chair. Love it!



Heart cookie cutter in play dough. Using all her strength to push it into the dough.


Tearing it a part. This would be great aggressive play for toddlers.

Cradling the "baby heart." EVERYTHING is a baby these days. She kissed and rocked it too!


"Look at de heart."
Valentine's sensory bin. It's been fascinating to see her play develop as she plays with this over time. The first time she was introduced to it she played for maybe 5 minutes, now she will play for 15!
Pretending to drink the "x's" and "o's."

Smashing them together in her hands.

She stuck the "o's" on her fingers on her own accord. Good fine motor work!



The Ipad was a favorite this week. Since she knows how to work it completely on her own, I can leave it on her level. She would find it around the house and just start playing it. Since the majority of the games I have are educational, I'm okay with her playing it often.

Sorting heart stickers by color. I got these stickers at the Dollar Store and just drew the lines on the paper to divide it up for sorting.


She loves to show me her work.
POURING! This was the favorite activity of this week. We had sooooooo many tea parties! I even used this activity as a motivation for good behavior. I'm so glad she's at the age that taking a privilege or activity away motivates her! So much easier to discipline.
Carefully lifting the cup with water in it to her mouth.

More pouring.

You can see all the water on the table. I had a towel on hand.

The last day we had a tea party with popcorn and Littlemiss dressed up in her princess dress.


She loves to wear her dress up hats. This used to be my hat, she wore it more than I did and Clay made fun of me for wearing it, so I gave it to her.
We moved the tea party to the living room, cause I thought she might enjoy it more if she had a whole bin of water to play with, and she did!






At first I told her not to drink the water, but she was confused from drinking it before, so I let her. This might be a good activity when we are potty training since she drank so much water while we played!

She called Talullah over and insisted she have some tea. Always trying to get Talullah to play with her. Littlemiss knows Talullah responds best to food.
Can't get enough of those cute, chubby fingers gripping the little tea cup :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment